Monday, November 21, 2022

Half Marathon

It's been more than four months, since I've started running regularly. Go to gym early, get out for a run and then lift weights on return. It has served me well as it has in the past. Those days it used to be a discman, now everything is in the watch and the AirPods are wireless too. Much much has changed in last two decades - but what hasn't changed is the feeling of wellness post a good run. You really don't need to care what and how much you eat so long as your feet hit the asphalt everyday.

Not that I have not run in a local race before - several years before, I participated in a race that started from St. John's and went till God knows where - probably a 10k run I did. I remember Rohit was along for the event, he would drive along and check my position in comparison to others - I am not sure if I finished. 

BIB 2357

Lately, have been running half marathons steadily. My route, my pace, my timeline. Besides gradual physical conditioning, I find that it's the mental muscle that needs to be exercised and focused more upon than the body. Body adapts eventually - but it's the mind that has to be kept on track and for that, as Cam Hanes says - Keep Hammering. Having done it my way a couple of times, I wanted to see myself doing the same in an event, where there would be others involved, a new route and their timeline. Not giving credence to whims of mind - doubt and reluctance - I registered for a race happening on 20th November - this was 2 weeks before. Collected bib no 2357 yesterday - the race was to start from Chandigarh Club, go till DLF IT park and then return; completing the requisite 21.1 kilometres. 

Took along Sonia and younger daughter Angel - if not participating they should see what it's all about as you never know if and what strikes. Reached venue at 0530 hrs as race was to start at 0600 and it was cold. There was immense participation in the half marathon category, young and old alike - actually the maximum participation was in half marathon category as per what Sonia saw. The race started and the race ended - it was a decent affair, really not much to report. I did fairly well keeping my emotions in check and ran my own race; to me it did not matter what others were upto and I cheered for them, as and when. Body did just well and it was nice to tick mark my completion of first competitive half marathon.

Standings

To me, my result was completion and my guess was fair that I lay in the middle - neither ahead nor behind. It was great to see that so many people turned up for a healthy affair - a refreshing change from all the negative overflowing around. Everything you see is in abundance - see health oriented people they are in abundance, see the opposite and they balance the scales too. I think I'd choose to be a part of the earlier community, as heartening it was to see 65+ aged Sardar uncles complete with their turban and gear doing much better time than me and so many others.

There is a lot of ground to cover.

No comments: