Sunday, October 2, 2022

Fenix 6x

Had been running off and on my whole life but in phases. Remember the times (early 2000's) when I used to run in Sector 36 park with Thompson discman in hand, bleeding nipples and just doing laps. Couple of times my friend Paras used to join me in - else it would just be solo. I recall having bought an expensive pair of shoes (to the tune of 10k) back then, and what pressure I was to justify - MAN - those were the days of value and morals! All those previous months, I would only be doing 3-4 laps; but the day I showed wearing new Adidas, I did 9 laps straight without batting an eye.

Running bug has bit me again for the last few months. Just got tired of the easy way of life, of having everything and able to do everything at my whim and fancy. Lacking grind thereof made me depressed and this is something I realise now; although, it started with an incessant need to simply move my butt. Anyhow, my buddy Rohit had been running for a while now and all his posts of doing this and that run every other day all those years, also had its role to play I guess. For running for me - my go to man was Rohit. He nudged me to Strava and we could now see each others activities on daily basis and add to it statistics of how much you did this week over the past, drove me even further. Long story short - I ended up running 100 kms in one week, two and half months from starting; did in my new pair of Kayano's after treading 800 kms in three months. Might sound considerable - but each day Internet humbles me, as I find one freak over other, outdoing one effort over other, endlessly humbling and motivating me in the process. No breaks, in three months my legs went rubber and it really took a lot of mental effort to slow myself down, to stave off the fear of falling into pit again to restart and deal with those demons again; sans I ended up with an injury long term. The new shoes - Kayano 29 - I am dialling them in and not just the shoes I am dialling myself in for the long term and taking it easy for a while, but consistently. Much love to Cameron R Hanes for his insightful words in book Endure; I keep repeating them to myself every now and then.

Sitting in Australia, Rohit probably liked what I was doing and decided to gift me a runner's watch. Contrary to my belief that list of buy's is endless, one needs to prove themselves before giving themselves the luxury of purchasing such expensive gadgets - for else we just lose sight of value. I hadn't done anything of notable value, but Rohit didn't budge, and Garmin Fenix 6x Pro arrived the day before.

Garmin

Found myself in pressure cooker again - but a pressure cooker that I cherish and enjoy getting cooked in. Reached home late then my usual time (thanks to building festive traffic) and immediately went on trying to figure out what was what. I was time pressed to sleep early, since I had decided to do a half marathon next morning - my would be first and a worthy tribute to my friends gift. Figured how to switch it on, bought Spotify premium, paired the AirPods, paired Strava account, timer switch and we set. Off to sleep but couldn't shut eye much and up again at midnight, trying to know a few more things that I realised I needed before the run; in my sleep. Spent a few hours and then forced myself to a nap for few minutes before I went out. Began the run and the reading was in miles - fuck it, I'll calculate mentally. Was happy that I wasn't carrying my phone and at the same time skeptical, what if I goofed up and activity never goes to Strava - my first half marathon in the wind! Pushed on regardless and went long. Somewhere around mile 9, I pressed a button and suddenly all my readings were zero. FFAAARRRRRRKKKKKK. I was now running blind and first instinct was to drop the hat and chuck it - but then I was way too far off to walk my butt to the gym (starting point). Kept on moving and made my way to gym on the preplanned route in my head. Stopped the timer and it showed 11 some miles (18 some kilometres) with over 2 hours of running. Apparently I had pressed the lap button, hence the zero readings. Missed my target but then again my first 2 hour run - I think that can count a little.

Half marathon shortly and thereafter ultra - thank you Rohit - like I said before; I shall justify your wonderful gift.

Thank You.

No comments: