Monday, March 21, 2022

Kashmir Files

 

 

Poorly constructed movie for a benchmark event in recent history – that’s my review of Kashmir Files after spending 3 hours last evening. While as heartening it was to see full occupancy in theatre, I was disappointed after all hooplah on SM. To me the whole movie was a rushed affair – made in haste - trying to tell too much in too little a time. Am sure there are movie creators walking on earth at this moment, who could justify the title and the event. It wasn’t a feature film but a haphazard collection of clips with blatant disregard to detail. The cars were bearing registration number of UK and PB65; Uttarakhand as a state didn’t even exist in 1990! Then the cast - apart from Anupam Kher and maybe one or two more, none of the guys were up to mark. A veteran as Anupam Kher, who is expected to deliver any apt role and did so with ease – was the only saving grace. At the end of it, Kashmir Files left me (I can speak for myself) wanting!

 

13 years ago, in 2009 on my motorbike ride to Leh from Srinagar; my numero travel to Kashmir valley, I had first-hand experience of alienism. From my birth year till that time, Kashmir to me was a part of India; however, the locales made sure that I felt otherwise. I vividly remember being asked in Srinagar market – AAP INDIA SE AAYE HO? Down further, on way from Srinagar to Sonmarg saw a Pakistani flag (hanging not fluttering) atop one of the roadside mosques. The threat was real, atmosphere hostile and the air heavy – at least back then. A lot has changed thereafter when I commenced my Srinagar visits for work purpose in March 2019. And let me tell you this – post abrogation of Article 370 – I have felt a shift (in a positive way) in attitude of locales to Indian nationals from other states.

 

To conclude – Kashmir Files does not do justice to the topic it is addressing. Maybe it’s a start of new chapter for Hindi cinema – I cannot comment on that further, as I am least proficient in the field. However, I do can tell a good film from a bad one.

 

Parallelly, what made me write this post is this book I am reading which has been authored by an old friend from Indian Army – Col. Ajay K Raina. The title of book is UNHOLY JIHAD. While I have already congratulated Col. Raina on his proficient writing skills, it also draws stark comparison between story telling of the same event. Given that reading a book and watching movie based on a book is never the same – but exodus of Kashmiri Pandits – two different depictions of the same event, while one slowly unfurls the plot and then carefully ties the ends, the other is abrupt and incomplete. The difference between the two is unparalleled. 

 

Should you want to know more about Kashmiri Pandits exodus / genocide – go read Unholy Jihad by Col. Ajay K Raina. If you are yet to see the movie and having second thoughts on whether you should or not – Unholy Jihad is available on Amazon India at the link below:

https://www.amazon.in/UNHOLY-JIHAD-True-Story-Kashmir/dp/B09QRQY3SV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=PMK77BNI6EIN&keywords=unholy+jihad&qid=1647849934&sprefix=unholy+jiha%2Caps%2C333&sr=8-1

 

It’s a better bet on 500 bucks!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To the point as ever. The only issue is the fact that while there are many better movie creators, unfortunately, no one from the mainstream (at least in India) has the courage to do such a project.
My gratitude for believing in Unholy Jihad