Monday, June 7, 2021

The Family Man


This comes from a space where I have been watching a series (for 3rd time) and along comes release of Family Man S2 on Amazon Prime. Having finished the same, I can’t help but comment in my head about stark comparison in film making (if I may use the word). Not for the story, it is to watch Manoj Bajpai’s (MB) talent which kept the series Family Man (FM) in high regards for me. The man can pull you in with his skilful act. 

The other series, currently being watched for 3rd time, is The Sopranos. I can’t watch that Anthony Soprano fellow enough. The show is so real. That being said I felt MB pulled the whole show off on his shoulders alone – yes there are other supporting actors and what not, but he is the guy who pulls it. Compared to Sopranos, the whole Family Man story seems to be a rushed affair. I believe for lack of spade work the series misses on a sense of originality when compared to realities on ground. Just a few, crude, everyday lingo abuses dont cut it. The story could have been elaborated further, but I guess the series makers were in a bit of hurry to just deliver S2 and leave clues for S3.

 

Personally I feel it was not justice to an actor as MB. Had the script been elaborate and more details inscribed along with the main story line, I believe it would have been a real treat to watch. The other actors didn’t quite fit in the roles – for example, the marriage counselor – to me it was he who needed a counselling! Suchi is no way near Carmela – all right given that she didn’t have that much of a screen time, but still, Carmela was on the money. However, Suchi’s daughter being all complaining and disrespectful, did do an appreciable job. JK with all his ponch, is doing a field job!! (Too many exclamation marks so far) And then Sri is working in corporate one hour and next hour he’s an intelligence officer – is it even plausible ? Further, you are working in an elite intelligence unit which handles the task of almost saving the country - and you are ambushed! To me that is just not coherent. Have been reading a lot of positive reviews on actor who played Raji – I don’t see how. If 80% of my role demands to give a dead stare and not utter a word; I can do that at least - and I am positive! No disrespect, but that is all that the role was, thrown in with some action moves.


Whole lot of words that mean nothing, but thats honest outlook from somebody not coming from this industry and from whom no one asked his outlook. So all in all in, while Family Man has come and gone, I am back to resuming Sopranos. 

No comments: